I should also mention that I wrote to Dr. Thomas and the board this week but received no reply. Here is that letter:

Dr. Thomas and the Distinguished Board and Staff of the BISD,

I urge you to immediately stop plans for the full demolition of South Park High School.

Beaumont history, as well as the reputation of the BISD, will be irreparably damaged by the demolition of that lovely building. After nearly a century's service, the historic structure deserves more--our children deserve more--than wanton destruction at a cost nearly double that of the original estimates of remediation and remodeling.

Beyond that, no communication has been made to citizens on the style or design of any replacement facility. If demolition is certain, would any portion of the historical building be saved? Would the facade be incorporated into any new design? Is there any chance at all of the South Park building becoming the new home for BISD performing arts?

There are many unanswered questions that need to be addressed in detail before the wrecking ball swings. There are many concerned folks, many (like myself) who don't even live in Beaumont, who are willing to write, call, meet, and discuss options beyond those that have been placed on the table.

The time is now to save a portion of Beaumont history that spans decades, cultures, races, and creeds. Its importance need not be relegated to dust and debris. It should remain standing for our children and theirs to come.

Please reconsider the pending actions against South Park! Please do right by the city and the future of Beaumont by allowing South Park to stand.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Debra (Lynd) Pearson
South Park High School graduate, 1986

Note that ANYONE who wishes to use parts of my letter may do so! Copy it and personalize it to your heart's content, sign your own name, and send it to BISD, the trustees, and the super. They must continue to hear of the importance of the South Park structure.

A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.
~Henry Ward Beecher