I am totally unsurprised by that. Outraged, of course, but not really surprised.

I just noticed this article linked to BISD's website: http://www.aframnews.com/html/interspire...dent/Page1.html

It paints dear Dr. Thomas as an educational hero (though most of the text comes straight from BISD's site). I'm quite certain that my reply to the article won't show up so I'm placing it here just to get it off my chest:

What's legendary is the beautiful building of South Park High School that Dr. Thomas has green-lighted for demolition. Sure, it'll cost $15 million dollars *more* to destroy an historic building and replace it with a throwaway version than to remodel and update the existing structure. But what's a little extra in an already bloated bond?

Besides who really cares about eighty-plus years of history in a half-dead neighborhood anyway? That's old school...oh wait: decrepit Central High School continues to stand. Shall we just nod earnestly and consider Dr. Thomas' expertise in "exciting youth to learn" as we watch an architectural treasure fall to the ground? This is progressivism gone mad, and we should all be frightfully ashamed!

It's an outrage that our youth will be denied the honor and historical richness of learning inside one of the most revered educational buildings in the region. At least there will be a gargantuan cookie-cutter sports facility across town to enjoy. It, too, will be the stuff of legends...at least until lack of maintenance sends it to the wrecking ball.

Unless Dr. Thomas realizes the egregious error that BISD is about to make, he might better be hailed as the Rich Man Who Killed Poor South Park. Some legend!

I continue to be sickened by the impending demolition. We must continue to speak out!

A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.
~Henry Ward Beecher