Home

Remembering the past....

Posted By: Kyle75

Remembering the past.... - 07/31/07 12:12 AM

Remember Cowboy John and Black Bart on Channel 4
Good article from the Beaumont Journal
12/20/2006
Click here for web sight: www.beaumontjournal.com/news/2006/1220/Front_Page/002.html
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/01/07 12:53 AM

Do I remember it? I was on it! We were standing on the bleachers, but when Black Bart came our, I ran screaming off...Those were the good old days Sharon c/o 77

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/01/07 01:17 AM

Did you have a membership card? Below was from the Beaumont Journal article I mentioned above.
The Circle 4 Club issued membership cards to kids who wrote in for them, and the moral tone of the posse was set. The club pledge, printed on each and every card along with the key for deciphering the secret code, stated,“As a member of this TV Club, I promise to mind my parents at all times, drink plenty of milk, brush my teeth and say my prayers every day. I will be courteous to everyone I meet and and try to be a good American. I will watch the Circle 4 Club every day and will never show the secret code to anyone except my parents or other club members. If I am in school I will study hard, always get my lessons and be courteous to my teacher and classmates. Each Sunday I will attend the Sunday School of my choice. I will be a good buckaroo always. I know if I do all of these things I will make a good Circle 4 Club member.”

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/02/07 03:35 AM

I don't recall a card. I was only about 4 or 5 and Mama never said anything about it. But I do remember watching it and thinking it looked like fun until I actually got there
Posted By: 1966

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/04/07 12:18 AM

Remember when-does anyone remember Uncle Willie and the birthday club?
Posted By: Miriam Cade 69

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/04/07 01:13 AM

Oh yes I got to be on there with him.

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/04/07 06:44 AM

What about Micky, the little man that drove the small Raindow bread truck?

What was Uncle Willie and the birthday club?

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/04/07 02:41 PM

Uncle Willie was on channel 6 I think. It was the t.v. station that used to be on Calder years ago and one similar to Cowboy John. And yes, I remember Mickey riding the bread truck. also, do you remember redi-kilowat with Gulf State Utilities. I had a pin.

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/04/07 05:04 PM

How about the staduim on Ave A. I remeber going with my dad and watching the game thru the peep holes.

Re: Remembering the past.... - 08/05/07 03:26 AM

Johnsen's Florist on Avenue A at Christmas with the Santa that moved and the way that Sunbeam bread used to decorate also at Christmas. I remember Mickey the bread man too.
Posted By: Cathy 1968

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/23/07 02:46 AM

I was on the Cowboy John show. That was on Channel 4. Uncle Willie & his Birthday club was on channel 6. I was slso on this show. Remember his daughter always said the same pray. Do you guys remember going to Highland Ave Pharmacy after school to have a coke float? Remember all the match books the the elder Mr. Mason had in his display case?

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/23/07 03:37 AM

Cherry Dr. Pepper

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/24/07 12:06 AM

How about the famouse "Pink lady" ???

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/24/07 12:50 AM

That one I don't remember

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/24/07 04:36 AM

Miriam, I think all it was just 7-up with cherry syrup in it. But it was good. Much better than the cherry 7-up that you can buy in the can these days. lol

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/25/07 01:56 AM

Nothing in a can could ever beat the drugstore's fountain drinks. Do you remember watching the bread go up the rack at the Rainbo Bakery? What about the circle in front of Baptist Hospital?

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/25/07 03:57 AM

On Friday nite after football game we would go round and round on cicle and see who did not get sick. can still smell the bread .

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/29/07 03:14 PM

Yes, I do remember seeing the bread. Just moved back from Tallahassee ,Fl. area and a small town in georgia just north had a bakery called Flowers and made me remember the rainbow bakery. You are right about the fountain drinks. Even the olive cokes at the pig stand!! Funny you mentioned the Circle. My friend and I was going to see how many times we could go around it, but the police caught us. Can't remember, but had a good excuse for it.

Re: Remembering the past.... - 09/29/07 07:24 PM

When you tell your children about things we did as teenagers they just look at you like you were crazy. Well we look at the things they do like they are crazy.People change just like times change.But going to South Park we were blessed.

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/14/07 01:35 AM

Sout Park Pride Never Dies!!!!

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/14/07 07:48 PM

you are so right.
Posted By: FRAN_1981

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/15/07 11:11 PM

Hello everyone!

Okay, most all of you Greenies (especially the last generation Greenies), will remember these fond memories of the old South Park Neighborhood. So for starters, I know everyone has to remember BURGER CHEF. I worked there all through High School, and I know all of you Greenies ate there at least once a week, if not more. One of the neatest things since sliced bread, was the idea of having a "Salad Bar" in a fast food joint. Burger Chef, was one of the first fast food places to have a Salad Bar, which back then only consisted of a basic green salad, cherry tomatoes, croutons, and 4 dressings: Bleu Cheese (YUK!), Thousand Islands, Creamy Italian, and French. Wow! we have come a long way on the Salad Bars these days!

A few other things I have fond memories of as a young one in the old SP Neighborhood are: SOUTH PARK DRIVE INN & THE LAMAR THEATER, GERLAND'S, FRED FENNISON'S EXXON, & 7-ELEVEN CHERRY SLURPEE'S!!.....although, not actually located in South Park, but on College Street instead, I most definitely remember many young Greenie Teens (Myself included) spending most Friday & Saturday Nights at the CADDILAC JACK'S TEEN CLUB....

....lastly, "THE KEG", as a young adult, I can recall many fun times spent there!!

I truly hope my little trip down South Park Memory Lane has brought back as many wonderful memories for all of you as it did for me!! smile

Peace & Love to you all,
~Frances~
SP c/o 1981

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/16/07 05:21 AM

Burger Chef was the best! And I can't remember how many "Hurricanes" I used to drink at the Keg (and Copperfields).. Does anyone remember Snappys Drive-In, just down the road from the Keg? Awesome food there too..We need to really start some serious planning for the big "All-Class Reunion"

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/16/07 04:49 PM

Well I am waiting some GREENIES to step up and help with planning "Mass Reunion" Snappy's had the best Chicken Fried Steak but Shelton's was good too.
Posted By: DianeW.G.

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/17/07 06:10 AM

Miriam I'll be glad to help just let me know what I can do. I'm coming down but not sure when. I'll try to come for a meeting and help make this Reunion happen. Let me know when and where.
Burger Chef I haven't heard of that place in years boy does that bring back some Good Memories. A $1.00 for a burger, fries and drink and the strawberry shakes were the best. Sheltons had the best fried chicken, so crunchy. Do you remember the Bread Co. on 11th? I think it was Rainbow. You could smell the bread for miles and if you were lucky you could get a loaf and go to a 711 to get butter, it was warm and so good. Do you rembember Little Mickey? I remember seing him in the store, he would bring in those Bannana Flips and I loved them. I sometimes get them up here but they are not as good as they were then..... Keep me informed

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/18/07 02:58 AM

Miriam, How about Gandy's chicken fried steak and oh their oyster plates. was so good coming back from across the river listening to the Boogie kings. Found a t-shirt in Nederland that said gone but not forgotten with a pic of the "Big Oaks" on it.

Re: Remembering the past.... - 10/18/07 03:20 PM

I had forgotten about Gandy's. Still think of Big Oaks.
Posted By: RussellThompson

Re: Remembering the past.... - 11/12/07 02:07 AM

Home coming bonfires that Lamar Univ. always seem to burn and we would re-build them twice as big. Cathy's Grocery Store across the street from the high school.First dances at the Alice Kieth Park Building in junior high.
© 2024 South Park High School