Home

Looking for Cornerstone Brick

Posted By: Miriam Cade 69

Looking for Cornerstone Brick - 11/19/08 01:06 PM

On Nov. 29 a bunch of GREENIES will meet at High School around 1 to look for building block to says when the block was laid. We want to preserve this block before any construction takes place at High School.We will also discuss about construction of "NEW" South Park School. You want to attend just show up.
Posted By: Thomas Sandidge

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick - 11/23/08 06:37 AM

Miriam,

I don't remember a cornerstone that was engraved. It has been a long time. However, I do recall a bronze plaque with the building date, school board members, etc. That should be preserved. While one would think that it would be on the second floor by the doors at the top of the stairs near the offices, I recall it or something about the construction of the building being on the ground floor near the doors that were under the outside stairs. I haven't been inside the building in forty years, but I recall that, because I thought it was an odd (out of the way) place for it to be. Please check that area. (If or when you can get inside the building. I think it was just inside of the door. It was there when we were students.)

Thomas Sandidge ('68)

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick - 11/23/08 02:04 PM

The plaque you are talking about is next door to Dr.Jones office. We were told when they built the building one of the bricks has the initals and year it was laid(SPHS 1922)that is when it was ecrected.Mr.Sirlos woud know but since he has passed away.His daugther has told told us who worked with him and they should know where it is.It will be a cornestone brick. Will keep everybody abreast of what we find on Nov. 29. Have got in touch with media hoping they will sent a crew while we are there.
Posted By: matcek

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick - 11/23/08 05:43 PM

So what decision has the board made about South Park....demolish, repair, build a new school ...if new, where?
Will South Park remain a junior high? Was anything done about establishing the building as a historic site? Was Lamar Univ. ever contacted to see if they might want to do something with the building since it was the first site of Lamar College? Just curious as to what's the latest......

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick at SP - 11/23/08 08:37 PM

There will be a new school right where South Park sits. We(GREENIES) are going to meet with bond committee and builder about what we want to keep of South Park.Mostly everybody say keeps the facade.We have contacted Lamar and they can not use SP. Have been told there is no land for them to build any where else. Nov. 29 we will look for cornerstone brick.Keep in touch.
Posted By: Debra 1986

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick at SP - 11/26/08 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Miriam
Have been told there is no land for them to build any where else.

Funny...one would think the District would have plenty of cash for land purchases since it certainly wasn't spending any money on the upkeep and repair of schools. mad

Alas, 'tis the final nail in the coffin of SPISD.

Posted By: AllenAyres

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick at SP - 11/26/08 10:11 PM

I could go if it were Sunday afternoon, I don't think we'll be back in time Saturday from out of town. Take some pictures and post'em smile

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick at SP - 11/26/08 11:21 PM

I will ask somebody to do that.

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick at SP - 11/28/08 11:49 PM

Expect a big crowd.

Re: Looking for Cornerstone Brick - 11/29/08 08:31 PM

I was disappointed in the number that came but with this being a holiday weekend and it turned cool.We talked about several items one being the next board meeting in Dec. I intend to speak again.So please make arrrangements to attend Dec.18.
© 2024 South Park High School