Miriam Cade Nichol 69
Re: School Board Meeting 6/18/2009 [Re: Miriam Cade 69] #2527 06/19/09 02:57 AM
M
Miriam Cade 69 Offline OP
Greenie
OP Offline
Greenie
M
Well I told them what I thought about their lies and they could not say anything

Miriam Cade Nichol 69
Re: School Board Meeting 6/18/2009 [Re: Miriam Cade 69] #2528 06/20/09 01:30 AM
S
Sharon Offline
junior
junior
S
First of all, HAPPY FATHERS DAY to all you fathers! Has anybody heard that Carroll Thomas' wife will be PRINCIPAL at the crappy new school they are tearing South Park down for? This is outrageous and I believe nepotism. We need to shout this out to the papers. I will be writing another letter in the next few days...

Re: School Board Meeting 6/18/2009 [Re: Sharon] #2529 06/20/09 03:15 AM
Debra 1986 Offline
I am totally unsurprised by that. Outraged, of course, but not really surprised.

I just noticed this article linked to BISD's website: http://www.aframnews.com/html/interspire...dent/Page1.html

It paints dear Dr. Thomas as an educational hero (though most of the text comes straight from BISD's site). I'm quite certain that my reply to the article won't show up so I'm placing it here just to get it off my chest:

What's legendary is the beautiful building of South Park High School that Dr. Thomas has green-lighted for demolition. Sure, it'll cost $15 million dollars *more* to destroy an historic building and replace it with a throwaway version than to remodel and update the existing structure. But what's a little extra in an already bloated bond?

Besides who really cares about eighty-plus years of history in a half-dead neighborhood anyway? That's old school...oh wait: decrepit Central High School continues to stand. Shall we just nod earnestly and consider Dr. Thomas' expertise in "exciting youth to learn" as we watch an architectural treasure fall to the ground? This is progressivism gone mad, and we should all be frightfully ashamed!

It's an outrage that our youth will be denied the honor and historical richness of learning inside one of the most revered educational buildings in the region. At least there will be a gargantuan cookie-cutter sports facility across town to enjoy. It, too, will be the stuff of legends...at least until lack of maintenance sends it to the wrecking ball.

Unless Dr. Thomas realizes the egregious error that BISD is about to make, he might better be hailed as the Rich Man Who Killed Poor South Park. Some legend!

I continue to be sickened by the impending demolition. We must continue to speak out!

A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.
~Henry Ward Beecher
Re: School Board Meeting 6/18/2009 [Re: Debra 1986] #2530 06/20/09 03:23 AM
Debra 1986 Offline
I should also mention that I wrote to Dr. Thomas and the board this week but received no reply. Here is that letter:

Dr. Thomas and the Distinguished Board and Staff of the BISD,

I urge you to immediately stop plans for the full demolition of South Park High School.

Beaumont history, as well as the reputation of the BISD, will be irreparably damaged by the demolition of that lovely building. After nearly a century's service, the historic structure deserves more--our children deserve more--than wanton destruction at a cost nearly double that of the original estimates of remediation and remodeling.

Beyond that, no communication has been made to citizens on the style or design of any replacement facility. If demolition is certain, would any portion of the historical building be saved? Would the facade be incorporated into any new design? Is there any chance at all of the South Park building becoming the new home for BISD performing arts?

There are many unanswered questions that need to be addressed in detail before the wrecking ball swings. There are many concerned folks, many (like myself) who don't even live in Beaumont, who are willing to write, call, meet, and discuss options beyond those that have been placed on the table.

The time is now to save a portion of Beaumont history that spans decades, cultures, races, and creeds. Its importance need not be relegated to dust and debris. It should remain standing for our children and theirs to come.

Please reconsider the pending actions against South Park! Please do right by the city and the future of Beaumont by allowing South Park to stand.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Debra (Lynd) Pearson
South Park High School graduate, 1986

Note that ANYONE who wishes to use parts of my letter may do so! Copy it and personalize it to your heart's content, sign your own name, and send it to BISD, the trustees, and the super. They must continue to hear of the importance of the South Park structure.

A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.
~Henry Ward Beecher
Re: School Board Meeting 6/18/2009 [Re: Debra 1986] #2531 06/20/09 11:55 AM
M
Miriam Cade 69 Offline OP
Greenie
OP Offline
Greenie
M
In todays (June 20) there are three letters one from gradute of SP 69 and a parent.The other I do not know but feel she is a graduate also. Everybody please flooded the newpaper with your letters.You will not get an answer from Thomas.He is to Chicken

Miriam Cade Nichol 69

Moderated by  Miriam Cade 69 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Gene Munson, Carolyn Jolly, Kim Nobles, barbarajean, BonnieS.Jones
905 Registered Users
Latest Posts
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27